Letter to the Editor

Publication title: Edmonton Sun (CN AB)
Publication date: April 7, 2000
Document type: Letter
Transcribed by: MW


THE ENTIRE rave phenomenon is an interesting social development that I feel will help these kids establish a sense of who they were in, say, 10 years from now. Speaking as a Gen-Xer I am very happy to see the youth of today come together in such a cohesive social manner. I envy them. The idea that these powerful drugs are the centre of all this adolescent bonding is also a fact, remembering my own liquor-driven, pot-enhanced bush bashes of the1980s. I'm unable to hurl a stone at raves. My father was frightened of my pot use in the same way. I would be of my own kid's experiments with ecstasy. The big question in all of this is, are the ravers still wired when they show up for a shift at their part-time work stations? Namely, are ravers cooking my food, serving my gas or babysitting my kids the morning after a mind-bending all-nighter? Does this drug help them function better at physical or mental tasks or doesn’t it? I know I wasn't a very good gas jockey or student when I showed up hung over when in high school. Can I expect these raving kids to perform as poorly at their jobs as I did? I hope more information is made available in your paper. In the meantime, I personally will stick to ranting rather than raving.

D. R.

(Everybody wants a safe scene for their kids. As early rock casualty Buddy Holly once sang, “Rave on, crazy feeling…”)

No comments:

Post a Comment