It's my teenage daughter and my decision

Dancing the night away

Publication title: Edmonton Journal
Pages: A15 

Section: Letters
Publication date: Jun 26, 2001
ProQuest document ID: 252805897
Copyright: Copyright Southam Publications Inc. Jun 26, 2001
Author: Knebel, John A



I have not been able to accept that the rave-motivated bylaw would be put to a vote in its present form.

I remember the excitement of staying out late on occasion, particularly in the context of music.

No one is arguing that drinking and drugs, or the raves they are illegally consumed at by some, should be accepted, unmonitored or unregulated.

From my experience (call it the responsibility of a parent), there seems to be even less alcohol and drug use at raves than I remember at rock concerts in the 1960s.

There still are some Bible-Belt era laws on the books in Edmonton and Alberta. They are being liberalized.

When I am in Europe, Latin America, most parts of Asia and even Montreal, I can dance all night if I want to.

The time of day and extended nature of this event are fundamental components of the rave celebration and are not major or dangerous changes to what we have experienced in the past.

We all know that the teenage clock is set at least a few hours later than for us grownups, and perceived enjoyment is often associated with a temptation to stretch these hours as much as possible.

Yes, in regulating location we should consider the sleeping citizen. We should simply regulate abuses and retain our reputation as an open-minded city that is part of this century.

As a parent of a 16-year-old, I should be left with the responsibility of deciding whether my teen should be allowed to go to a rave. City council should not make laws that pre-empt the rights of parents.

John A. Knebel, Edmonton

Illustration

Photo: Michael Aporius, The Journal / Raver Sarah Murphy, 16, at Sunday's Right to Dance event. ;

No comments:

Post a Comment